Jump to content

ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Turn Of The (20th) Century Terrace Refurb

  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 brickie


    Regular Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

It may be very different now but years ago I knew a Damp proofer & he hinted that the guarantee was purely to keep mortgage lenders happy & would be invalidated if you so much as hung a picture on the treated wall.

#42 jono2000



  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

yes ultimately i will have to keep the lenders happy.... i'd be amazed if I got a genuinely useful guarantee. this is purely for the lenders really. I don't want to save a couple of hundred now, and find that my property is unmortgageable, even though its hopefully bone dry.

My damp options for the walls are either to irrigate each brick with dry and wet rot prevention (boron?) liquid.

If this is too expensive I've heard its possible to put the damp inhibitor in the plaster mix and the sand and cement mix. Anyone had experience of this option? How successful is it generally?

Edited by jono2000, 14 April 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#43 jono2000



  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

Thought I'd update anyone bored enough to be reading this thread. (How bored would you have to be?)

Place now well on the way to being finished, new joists, new floors, new insulation, (not Celotex, but a cheaper equivalent ecotherm, functionally identical apparently.)

ecotherm is cheaper than celotex which is cheaper than kingspan etc. (Why anyone pays extra for the name is mystery...)

Its all looking very watertight and really quite like a liveable 4 bed house.

One question: I've partitioned the biggest bedroom (17 imperial feet by x 12 imperial feet) into 2 bedrooms (habitable rooms). Which of course in building regs becomes an "inner room". So given I believe I need building regs for even this change I thought I'd add another partition thus making it two separate rooms and a very small hallway of the existing hallway.

The main partition is ply, glued and screwed (and resined into the wall for structural soundness to counter a small bow on the front walll), covered with 9mm plasterboard either side and insulated with rockwool. Is this sufficient for a single family home? Also as I've added one extra room will the building regs insist on escape windows in each room or just one for the "new" room?