ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Despite My Personal Scepticism, This Might Interest Someone...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

This letter was posted on the GBF by Nick Parsons and I've copied it over to here in case anyone fancies their chances.

My reaction was:

"A degree of scepticism has crept into some self-build oriented forums over this kind of programme because of the way they're edited to show the 'personal dramas' rather than the actual process of self-build, think 'Grand Designs' and the "Will they get the roof on before the rain comes, or will their dreams literally be washed into the footings? Come back after the break to find out."

It'll obviously come down to what incentives are on offer, as usual."

But it's up to you.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to you from Remarkable, a television production company that's part of Endemol UK. We are best known for our innovative series including The Food Show (Channel 4), Superscrimpers (Channel 4) and Restoration Home (BBC Two) which follows private owners of crumbling historic buildings as they save them from ruin and restore them into wonderful 21st century homes.

We have recently been commissioned to make another property series for BBC Two. This groundbreaking TV series will look at ambitious ordinary people self-building their dream home for a maximum budget of £100,000. It will challenge everything people think they know about house building today.

Presented by architectural journalist Kieran Long, the show aims to inspire a broad church of viewers to become self-builders through the prism of an engaging observational documentary series full of heart. We will follow couples/families embarking on high stakes adventures as they attempt to build their own homes on a budget within reach of many people - for the first time on TV. Some self-builders will be entirely hands-on; others will project manage all the trades; some will bring on skilled labour when needed. All will have family and friends helping with the build and therefore keeping labour costs down.

For two-thirds of the price of the average family home, 6 individuals will attempt to create a place that they can call their own, with all the character, architectural ambition, homeliness and decorum of houses way beyond of their price range.

We're still looking for people embarking on ambitious self builds for under £100,000 to take part in our series. Your organisation runs courses for self builders. I'm wondering if any of your students, past or present, might be embarking on an exciting house building project in the near future? Might any of these self builders be interested in taking part in our exciting new television series?

Any help you can give us will be very gratefully received. Please pass on my contact details to anyone you think might be able to help.

If you have any questions please contact me on the numbers below or email me at this address.

Yours sincerely,
Janet Chute

Assistant Producer
Remarkable Television (part of Endemol UK)

Tel: 020 8222 4063 | Mob: 07746 796200 | Email: janetDOTchute@endemolukDOTcom Shepherds Building Central | Charecroft Way | London | W14 0EE

#2 caliwag

caliwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

Yes, interesting dave, I personally am not building, so they can count me out! I wish them luck though, strikes me as a good idea at
a good time, as self build seems to be crawling into the sights of the Condems. (if you can believe anything a politician says these days!)

I feel it's a fine balance between voyeurism, that British thing of wanting initiative to fail (as much as I cannot be bothered about the Olympics, I
admire the athletes for their guile and enthusiasm, but you just know that the British press are poised, pen in hand, for the next disaster. I have personally stopped buying papers over the period, become very selective about radio programmes (rather than R4 burbling away in the background!) and am just stacking up the CDs and old John Peel tapes...it all may change my life to the good) and, where was I? and advice.

That was my problem with Grand Designs, as much as I admire Kevin McLeod, there was never any advice, just haven't they been silly by not employing an x, y or z.

Have to say, i didn't enjoy the NEC exhibitions either, just full of Interior design tat...sorry all.