1930's Tiles roof need replacing or not??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bcarey

bcarey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hi All,

I have just purchased a 1930's property and have completely gutted it.

The roof however is not my department and I need some advice please.

It is tiles with no felt and it has been raining hard this morning.

There are signs of water coming in on the floor but from the inside the tiles seem very damp. A bit like a sponge when you touch them their very moist from the inside.

Any ideas?? I have included a pic.

Thanks Billy

Attached Files

• Attached File  roof.jpg   127.36K   1 downloads

#2 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8,381 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:42 PM

There are two potential problems with different solutions. You might have both..

1) The tiles could be damaged and allowing water in. The way some of the water marks appear to start on a gap between tiles suggests there might be a problem but I'm not familiar with that type of tile. They look like some form of interlocking tile, possibly bedded on mortar?

2) Water vapour created by people and plants inside the warm house condensing on the cold underside of the tiles. This can make tiles look wet with visible drops of water. The cure is to install a vapour barrier below the insulation.

#3 jsharris

jsharris

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

One thing worth looking at is any changes that have been made to the house, specifically loft insulation and whether or not adequate ventilation has been provided in the roof void.

My house, although much newer than your, developed severe condensation on the sarking and roof timbers. It was so bad that I started to get staining in places on the ceilings below, from water finding its way through the plasterboard. Having lived in the house for years, and having never had a problem until a few years ago, I couldn't quite understand why the problem had suddenly started.

The reason turned out to be the added insulation I'd added in the loft. I'd upped the insulation from a measly 100mm to 250mm, and this had cooled the loft space. The house was built with no soffit vents, just air bricks in each gable end wall. The sealing between the bathroom and the loft, and the sealing around the loft hatch was poor.

Adding soffit vents, and sealing the loft hatch and bathroom ceiling where pipes went up from the airing cupboard, has removed my problem. It may well be that your problem is similarly exacerbated by added insulation to the loft, without adding better ventilation at the same time.

#4 bcarey

bcarey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for the replys.

The ceilings throughout have been pulled down and their is no insulation in the loft.

There is no furniture at all so it is basically just a shell with all ceilings removed and no heating etc.

If that helps?

There are small holes on various tiles and a few have damaged ends where you can see the light coming in?

#5 sussexlogs

sussexlogs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Locationworthing

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

If the house was built in the 1930s they are clay pan tiles and they are coming to the end of their life the best answer is to re-roof either using the good existing tiles and making up the difference with reclaimed tiles or all new tiles

#6 Estimator

Estimator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationWorcester, UK

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:59 PM

This really needs stripping and renovating with breather membrane, eaves vents and new lath. Trying to cut corners will also hammer your bank account in the mid term. Do it now whilst the work is taking place, you may already have scaffold in place that you can use.