ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Code for Sustainable Homes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 malerin

malerin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

Hi , looks like no one has posted here for a while/ Anyone involved in self build in Wales and had experience of Code assessments?

#2 DannyBoy

DannyBoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

Yeah I'm currently building down in Pembrokeshire to Code level 3. I paid alot of money for someone to give me silly and unreasonable suggestions on how to meet the code level 3 requirement, be given templated letters for me to do all the hard work and be given a certificate that allowed me to finally start building after 12 months of confusion.

#3 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

Worth bearing in mind that CfSH level 3 is a pretty grim standard of performance to aim for, and one that is still substantially worse than the standard that most decent new homes in the rest of Europe are built to. My personal view is that the absolute minimum performance standard for the UK is the energy efficiency level needed for CfSH level 5, and ideally we should be looking for much better than that.

The Passivhaus standard has been around for decades in Germany, and is far, far more demanding in terms of airtightness and insulation than CfSH level 3. It doesn't really cost any more to build to this standard, either, which the really galling thing. The expense of meeting UK regulations is largely all the red tape, not the actual cost of building to a high thermal and airtightness standard.

#4 fuzzy

fuzzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

CfSH is in my recent knowledge pretty much what you have acheive to meet current building regs anyway. i wouldnt bother if i were you unless you want to go for code 4 or higher. its also not madatory whereas building regs are.