ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Garden Office

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BobbyPickett

BobbyPickett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

Hello,
I am considering building an outdoor structure at the bottom of my garden for me to work in as the kids are getting older and I am soon to be kicked out of my bedroom office. Does anyone know of any websites that can offer step by step instructions on how to do this. I am confident about the foundations, walls, floors electrics etc. but have never made a roof from scratch or know anything about damp proofing and insulation. Would I need planning permission?
Thanks for any suggestions

#2 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

View PostBobbyPickett, on 21 August 2011 - 11:19 AM, said:

Hello,
I am considering building an outdoor structure at the bottom of my garden for me to work in as the kids are getting older and I am soon to be kicked out of my bedroom office. Does anyone know of any websites that can offer step by step instructions on how to do this. I am confident about the foundations, walls, floors electrics etc. but have never made a roof from scratch or know anything about damp proofing and insulation. Would I need planning permission?
Thanks for any suggestions

Planning Permission might be required but probably not. You may also need Building Control Approval depending on how big it is or how close to the boundary it is. Check out..

http://www.planningp...s/outbuildings/

What sort of roof do you want? Pitched or flat? Not so long ago I built a pitched roof on a small outbuilding more or less on my own. Would be faster with help but is possible on your own. I'm not at my normal PC until Tuesday so will try to post more then.

#3 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

Could also be worth looking at books such as..

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0750668229