Jump to content


ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.





Photo

A Few Decisions And A Bit Of Panic

Posted by DeeJunFan , 11 February 2015 · 1,403 views

Since my first entry not much has happened apart from a lot of thinking.

Legal work is still on-going RE the additional portion of land. Hopefully complete in the next week or so.

So far the decisions are

Strip foundations. Thermal block above the sub floor to deal with thermal bridge.
200mm of PIR with UFH pipes on top
thinking 65-75mm of Sand & cement screed with fibers.

Thinking 165mm cavity as that seems to be the maximum for catnic type lintels. May still go for 175mm if i can assure myself that the concrete lintels will be ok and available. Will return the blocks at opes to leave 100mm cavity to be closed by PIR. Cavity will be filled with bonded beads. Wire wall ties I think

Looking at Hollow-core slabs as well as wide-slab flooring for the 1st floor. Haven't got prices for the wide-slab but it seems to be the most straightforward for making openings for services etc. Slab will be wrapped with airtight membrane.

Windows are an issue at the moment as i can't seem to get a quote from anyone. Seems if there is no house they don't really care about giving a quote for estimates etc. Will be going for 3G with the best thermal properties for my budget.

Still deciding on the best way to close the cavity at the roof - may follow the example set by Michael.

I'll be going for attic trusses and am still in the process of decided how best to insulate and air tighten the area. Joist line vs Rafter line. If its rafter line then will it be warm deck/cold deck. Still lots to think about in this area. Shell is going through this at the moment so will watch with interest.

Not using any roof lights so nothing to plan in that area.

Will be going for Natural Slate, many options and I'm sure I'll decide closer to the time.

The Heating system is the current head scratcher and I'm still totally unsure of what to do. The original plan was to go ASHP, Thermal Store/UVC?? with perhaps PV at some future stage.

Given the number of barriers to going ASHP i'm still not sure what to do. Perhaps go the "No Heating" Option in SAP and fit a large immersion running on E7, use the money saved on ASHP to buy PV system.

Have a great quote for MHRV so happy there. Will be going Flexible radial ducting from Supply/Extract Manifolds

Any Opinions comments welcome!

Thanks
Damian



What "barriers" are you facing with an ASHP?

Some parts of the UK (e.g Scotland) you need planning permission for an ASHP so worth including that in your planning application, even if you end up not fitting it.
  • Report
Planning is part of it. You didn't need permission when I first applied so now I would need to resubmit a change of dwelling. Basically the same plans with a box showing the location of the ashp. This submission would cost £890.

Then there is the position of paying an extra £2300 for transformer upgrade because of having an ashp.

Lastly is the rip off that is MCS installs and supply. Paying almost double for the same unit as 50 miles down the road.

The whole thing just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth
  • Report
Can't help with the planning.

The transformer up grade is dealt with as discussed by keeping quiet.

And don't bother with MCS, just buy it and install it with no subsidies.

What about ground source? That's still permitted development here, though there is a lot of extra ground work involved.
  • Report
I had a prank call claiming to be Baskil Windows, I had asked for a quote 4 weeks ago. Will wait and see if the salesman materialises ;-)
  • Report
Regards the ASHP,have u seen this?
http://www.belfast-a...urce-heat-pumps
  • Report

recoveringacademic
11 Feb 2015 08:13 PM

ProDave, on 11 February 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

And don't bother with MCS, just buy it and install it with no subsidies.

Dave, because the overcharging exceeds the subsidies.....?
  • Report
Thanks Kev

I spoke to the planners last Feb at the self build show so didn't catch the changes.

Baskil called me abiut 2 days after requesting a quote asking about location etc. Still waiting on the quote. That was 10 mo the ago.

In most cases the grants and subsidies are front loaded into the cost of install and certification to make the installers huge profits. Also there is a servicing contract requirement to qualify for RHI.
  • Report
Thanks Kev

I spoke to the planners last Feb at the self build show so didn't catch the changes.

Baskil called me abiut 2 days after requesting a quote asking about location etc. Still waiting on the quote. That was 10 mo the ago.

In most cases the grants and subsidies are front loaded into the cost of install and certification to make the installers huge profits. Also there is a servicing contract requirement to qualify for RHI.
  • Report
Kev if you need a number for a rep from Baskil I can give you one. Think shell got him up to price hers. They don't price of plans to busy or can't be arsed but if the house is built they will come out.
  • Report
Dee did you price up the difference in 200mm of pir and its equivalent in eps ,400mm. A 100 mm sheet is near enough £23-25 so your atleast looking at £46-50 which on a floor would soon add up. You would also save yourself 200mm of stone.
  • Report
I priced for 300 mm of EPS from kingspan. It was more expensive than the 200mm of PIR. Was shocked to be honest.

Not sure if there are cheaper places.
  • Report
That is a bit shocking. Kingspan bought springvale who made EPs in Belfast so are probably fazing out that range so you only buy pir.
  • Report
I think that's the plan. Price it out of existence
  • Report
Kev - Thanks for link, that makes ASHP less complicated for me if I decide to go that way.
  • Report

shell820810
12 Feb 2015 06:12 PM
I wouldnt be watching my roof with too much interest- its like the blind leading the blind here at the minute lol
  • Report

shell820810
12 Feb 2015 06:16 PM
Declans Baskill rep was very good, gave me a quote off plan within 2 days. I had heard nothing from the previous rep. Pricewise they are pretty much in line with what we are getting from other places, so given their previous reputation I am hesitant.
  • Report
I haven't even started yet so i'm sure you will be all sorted by the time i get a sniff of my roof.

Might see you around the show in Sunday!
  • Report

shell820810
12 Feb 2015 06:27 PM
Follow the sound of the screeching baby and that'll be me!
  • Report
Got a call from Baskil rep today, Chris. Emailed on plans to price.
  • Report

February 2018

M T W T F S S
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
192021222324 25
262728    

Recent Entries

Recent Comments